The Research Scientist – Metabolic Pathways candidate will possess previous research experience in immunology, metabolism, inflammation, biotechnology or drug development. The ideal candidate will have a PhD in biotech, immunology, systems biology, metabolism or bioinformatics. Preference will be given to candidates with demonstrated expertise in biochemistry and metabolic pathway analysis. Additional experience in common laboratory practices, skills, and techniques to support preclinical, translational, and clinical studies is required. This candidate will work closely with the Chief Scientific Officer and other R&D team members in the development of first-in-class, oral therapeutics for the treatment of autoimmune diseases.
The candidate will be completely aligned with the four fundamental pillars of Landos’ entrepreneurial and efficient corporate culture: 1) Be bold and decisive, 2) Never give up, 3) Be solution-oriented, and 4) Do the impossible.
Experimental Design: Generate and test novel experimental hypotheses to advance discovery-based R&D at Landos. Propose controlled preclinical, translational and clinical designs capable of robustly testing respective hypotheses to draw conclusions relevant to drug development research.
Data analysis: Utilize established and novel methods to analyze data. Data types will include but are not limited to flow cytometry, Seahorse bioanalyzer, metabolomics, high-throughput sequencing, protein biochemistry assays, and histopathology.
Data communication and reporting: Provide detailed reports of experimental results. Generate figures, presentations and publications to communicate results with scientific community, investors, and collaborators. Support the development of patents and grants relevant to on-going research.
Laboratory Procedures: Perform various standard experimental assays including quantitative real-time PCR, Western blot, flow cytometry, and ELISA. Work in sterile conditions to conduct cell culture experiments and maintain the growth of cell lines. Express and purify recombinant protein. Collect and analyze generated data.
Personnel Training: Training of Landos personnel on laboratory upkeep, experimental assays and research projects. Guide the personnel resourcing of projects and tasks.
Animal Procedures: Conduct various IACUC approved laboratory animal procedures and techniques for Landos projects including but not limited to basic rodent handling, oral gavage, intraperitoneal injection, blood collection, and euthanasia. Interact with animal facility personnel to maintain organization and compliance of animal facilities.
Teamwork: Work independently and collaboratively in a matrixed environment. Be able to successfully work with other Landos team members in experiments.
Regulatory Compliance: Support regulatory compliance efforts as instructed by the senior leadership in accordance with IACUC, IBC, and IRB protocols. Implement, organize and maintain regulatory compliance records.
Record keeping: Keep detailed records of all activities, record these activities in ASANA, Google Drive, laboratory notebook, the Landos Colony Management System (CMS), and Labkey. Provide weekly updates of the Landos research progress to the CSO.
- Apply scientific and technical expertise to drug discovery programs to impact the future of new drug candidate development
- Conceptualize and design experiments
- Organize and conduct in vivo/ ex vivo/ in vitro studies independently (including preparation, data collection, interpretation, and presentation)
- Maintain awareness of scientific and technical developments in field
- Author manuscripts for quality publications in top-tier journals.
- Interface with an interdisciplinary team of scientists in the Internal Medicine Research Unit and engage in both target exploration and driving established projects in our portfolio.
- Quantify and translate experimental results to advance the understanding of how metabolic pathways and complex physiological systems are altered by diseases and how they respond to therapeutic interventions.
- Maintenance of laboratory notebook records and adherence to safety policies is strictly required.
- Maintains the strictest confidentiality of all activities.
- Team player, engendering credibility and confidence within and outside the company.
- Faithfully performs any other tasks requested by the Chairman, President & CEO.
- Act in accordance with Landos’ policies and in alignment with the corporate culture.