The Business Development Director is a highly motivated individual, self-started with an A+ attitude and proven ability to follow through who will be involved in managing agile/lean operations. The position will be responsible for collaborations across a variety of external partners including pharmaceutical, biotech, clinical research, and emerging medical technology companies. Supports management in driving growth through new partnerships & collaboration agreements, evaluating new business opportunities such as in/out licensing, collaborative research and development agreements, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions. Familiar with a variety of the biotech field’s concepts, practices, and procedures. Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. The Business Development Director will lead critical activities to access external therapeutic programs and technologies, including the sourcing, evaluation and negotiation of in-licensing, collaboration, M&A, equity, and out-licensing deals. The business development will set, communicate, and drive the implementation of the partnering strategy in collaboration with executive team stakeholders.
The candidate will be aligned with four fundamental pillars of Landos’ corporate culture: 1) Be bold and decisive, 2) Never give up, 3) Be solution-oriented, and 4) Do the impossible.
- Leads sourcing (including landscaping efforts for prioritized areas of interest), evaluation and negotiation of high impact collaborations, licensing, equity, and acquisition opportunities.
- Enables and drive robust and timely decision-making through all stages of deals.
- Oversees negotiation strategies with prospective partners, including creating collaboration structures that align with scientific and business needs and making deal recommendations to key executive team stakeholders.
- Develops and oversees the execution of short- and long-range business development strategies that are aligned with the priorities and interests of Landos’ corporate strategy.
- Manages, selects, evaluates and negotiates business development and partnership agreements for Landos with a focus on pharmaceutical and biotech collaborations.
- Prioritizes the development of territory deals in the Asia Pacific region.
- Supports management in interactions with potential strategic partners.
- Leads and/or supports contract negotiations with external parties on new collaborations.
- Evaluates new business opportunities, markets, and technologies to support Landos’ corporate development initiatives.
- Provides general intelligence on key competitors.
- Identifies and engages on new leads and/or supports negotiations on new agreements
- Prospects, analyzes, and solicits new business development collaborations via relevant databases.
- Manages assigned accounts to generate both incremental and repeatable annual business.
- Manages new business development efforts in licensing agreements, coordinates with partner as well as internal cross-functional resources.
- Develop and deliver impactful presentations to key internal and external prospects and stakeholders that are successful in persuading the target audience in supporting the business development initiatives.
- Responsible for opportunity management and accurate pipeline forecasting.
- Drive and support legal activities related to corporate development deals, including but not limited to: CDAs, MTAs, License agreements, Development and Partnership agreements.
- Works cross functionally with finance, legal, and regulatory to structure successful partnerships.
- Collect, analyze and transmit information regarding market evolution, competitors and technology trends.
- Alliance manages key aspects of business development partnerships & collaborations post deal
- Attend, and lead where appropriate, meetings related to corporate strategy for application areas, licenses, investments, deals and initiatives.
- Establishes highly effective and collaborative relationships with key internal functions (R&D, Tech Ops, Legal and Finance) to ensure strong relationships and support for the BD transactions.
- Ensures high-quality opportunity assessments and due diligence reviews.
- Accountable for the achievement of critical goals that impact and contribute to the mission of Landos.
- Maintains the strictest confidentiality of all activities.
- Team player, engendering credibility and confidence within and outside the company.
- Faithfully performs any other tasks requested by the Chairman, President and CEO.
- Act in accordance with Landos’ policies and in alignment with the corporate culture.
- Bachelor’s degree with 8+ years of related work experience OR
- Master’s degree in field with 6+ years of related work experience OR
- Doctoral degree in field with 3+ years of work experience.
- MBA Degree Preferred
Career Experience & Skills
- Business development experience in Biotech, Pharmaceuticals, CRO, or other Life Science business.
- Demonstrated ability to close partnership deals, with track record of success– Deal Sheet.
- Ability to apply critical/strategic thinking to each opportunity.
- Experience structuring collaborations and managing alliances.
- Must possess the ability to work collaboratively and effectively with all internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Working knowledge of product development, regulatory, and scientific affairs as it relates to pharmaceuticals and molecular diagnostics.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally.